In a series of tests, it appears that Aptana Studio 3.x is signifigantly slower than 1.5 when opening files.
- Empty workspace, except for one web project
- project contains 11 web files, each the homepage of google.com (attached)
- Restart studio. Let all processes finish. Right click on a file and open it in the HTML editor:
- Aptana Studio 1.5: avg. 1.75 sec
- Aptana Studio 3.0.7 avg. 2.35 sec
- Note that the addition of browser previews in 1.5 seems not to make a difference. Removing them did not materially impact the times.
Time to open all files:
Select all files, right-click to open all.
Aptana Studio 1.5: 1.4 seconds
Aptana Studio 3: 1.5-1.7 seconds
Studio 3 is reliably slower, though just a hair. It feels slower too.
Opening to edit state test:
Aptana Studio 1.5: 4 seconds to opening and typing
Aptana Studio 3: 8 seconds to open, but 18 seconds until able to type (waiting on colorization)
FWIW, the typing speed is atrocious in Studio 1.5 in that file (a few chars a sec at best) but opening is way faster, and the browser tabs
seem to have nothing to do with it.